Saturday, February 12, 2011

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but we're building Egypt."


I have been following the Twitter feed on the BBC website dedicated to therevolution in Egypt. What I appreciate about this feed is that itbringstogether the opinions and ideas of people from all walks of life. Political leaders, journalists, university students and poor citizens are all posting. Some from other countries, some from inside the crowds in Tahrir Square. this morning I found the following posts, which made me pause:

1030: The BBC's Paul Danahar is observing the clean-up in Tahrir Square: "The infrastructure of the revolution is being quickly dismantled," he says. "The angry young men who led this revolution seemed to have been replaced by their mums who are now cleaning up the mess. This is the first revolution I've covered when the people cleaned up after themselves. Perhaps the mark of a people who spawned one of the world's oldest and greatest civilizations."

1055: There's a sense of humor among those still in Tahrir Square this morning. According to the AP some are wearing placards bearing the slogan: "Sorry for the inconvenience, but we're building Egypt."

As for my personal response, I was overwhelmed with emotion yesterday. A
fter a deflating speech by Mubarak the night before when he said (I think) that he was not going to resign the office of the presidency I felt as though he had just flipped the bird to his entire country, not to mention stamp my travel orders for at least 6 more months in the U.S.

Then, the following morning, the news came that Mubarak had resigned the office of the presidency and turned control over to the military high council. I was brimming with pride in the Egyptian people. I felt the swell of nationalistic pride, even though I am not Egyptian. I wanted an Egyptian flag. I wanted to run around in the Buffalo snow and shout, "Allahu akbar!" I was amazed.

I felt as though I could finally let out the breath I had been holding since January 27th...only to hold the next breath I took. Now we hold our breath as we hope that the players who bubble up will bring wisdom, empathy, selflessness and a long-range vision to the table. We hold our breath to see what will develop this week, this month and in the long days ahead. This is far from over.



1 comment:

Deborah said...

I'm with you, Meg. I almost cried this morning when I saw video on the news of large groups of people cleaning up Tahrir. I just finished looking at pictures on Facebook of people cleaning up in Maadi, too. I can't wait to get back there!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP