Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Long London Layover

I began the long journey home to Cairo this past Friday evening. After a smooth flight from Dulles to London I found myself with 12 hours to fill before my connection to Egypt. Typically I play it safe as a traveler and prefer to stick close to the airport, not taking any unnecessary risks that could result in missing connections. But I had never been to London before and wanted to take the opportunity to explore the city and see some history. I also wanted to scope it out as a potential future posting for us.

After dropping my carry-on bag with an airport service for 8 GPB I bought a day pass for the Undeground and city map to plan my afternoon. The professor I had for my last class this summer is from the UK and she had given me some recommendations of things to see and do. Based on her suggestions Hyde Park was first on my list. After 9 hours of sitting I was game for beating a path around a wide open green space.

Hyde Park Gate

Knobby Tree in Hyde Park, London

I was not disappointed. As I walked along the paths, being passed by cyclists and joggers, I made a mental note to pack my running gear in my carry-on the next time I have a layover like this. My first stop was this statue of Achilles, which was commissioned by King George IV to honor British soldiers.

Statue of Achilles, Hyde Park

From there I walked on and discovered this "tree house". Not in the sense that we typically use the term but the tree had grown over in such a way that close to 15 children were playing inside of its branches:

Tree House, Hyde Park

I continued along the path to The Princess Diana Memorial Walk around Serpentine Lake

Princess Diana Memorial Walk, Hyde Park

These deck chairs were set up in rows along both sides of the lake. There were several park workers scattered among them in bright yellow vests. When you sat back to relax and watch the rowers on the lake the park workers would make their way over to you to collect the 50 pence per 30 minute fee for using the chairs. Not surprisingly many chairs remained empty while the public park benches were usually full.

Beach Chairs, Hyde Park

On my way across the park to the other entrance I spotted this group of roller skiers. The instructor is sitting on the fence in the left of the frame. It appeared to be a group of beginners as they were taking turns drifting across the path and running out into the grass. It's never to early to get ready for ski season!

Cross-Country roller skiers in Hyde Park, London

The opposite entrance to Hyde Park lies near the Marble Arch. This archway was the original entrance to Buckingham Palace in 1828 but was moved to this site when an extension was built on to the palace leaving insufficient space for the arch.

Marble Arch

From Hyde Park I made my way over to Buckingham palace in time to see the changing of the guards. Frankly, I found it unimpressive (the changing of the guards, not the palace). It's got nothing on Arlington Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown. Nevertheless crowds were packed along the fence and scattered all over the fountain across the square. I didn't have time to take a tour but I'd be interested to see the inside of the palace on day.

Buckingham Palace

Statue across from Buckingham Palace

Fountain detail across from Buckingham Palace

The statue and fountain above are details from an enormous fountain in the square across from the palace that was a gift to Britain from The Netherlands.

The final stop on my whirlwind tour was Westminster Cathedral, the oldest Catholic Church in Britain. I felt uncomfortable taking photos inside as there were people worshiping but I wish I could have shown you the detailed chapels around the perimeter of the main sanctuary as well as the vaulted, domed ceilings black with soot from centuries of candle light. It is truly awesome to be inside these ancient structures and imagine what has taken place within these walls. Choir practice began as I was leaving making it feel as if I was walking back in time.

Westminster Cathedral

Westminster Cathedral

While sitting in the church I thought it might be a good idea to check my boarding pass to make sure that my departure time was still 10pm as my itinerary said. Someone must have been sending me a message because the departure time had in fact changed to 6pm. It was a good thing I hadn't started my intended walk further east toward Westminster Abbey. Instead I hopped on the "Tube" at Victoria Station and made my way back to the airport with a little time to spare. I would like to return to London some day, when I do I will make a point to see: The Globe Theater, Westminster Abbey, The Tower of London, and 221B Baker street. If you have any other recommendations drop me a line and I will add them to my list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

miss the meg in person already, but love the blog post! cool that you got to visit london even just for a bit and super cool that you made your flight. xoxo joan

Sara SV Bishop said...

we did a children's tour of London, Owl & The Pussycat B&B, Dalmatian Rescue dog walking, finding Peter Pan, (we did not get to 17 Cherry Tree Lane), Portobello Road, double-deckers, zoo (of course) Trafalgar Square, Bank of England to feed the birds. Great trip that one, and we've have several great trips to London (but too expensive to want to live there - the several folks I know who have, didn't do any of the trips).

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP