Saturday, June 12, 2010

Running to work is an option!

The last few months I've been thinking that it's probably possible to run to work.  My first run in Cairo was with another new guy and I ran about 60 minutes out and back down the Corniche. At the time, it appeared the landmarks I saw were about half-way to work, and I wondered what would happen if I just committed to running the whole way. Well this morning I finally got off my butt and found out.

Before I describe the run, let me be clear: There is no way I'm going to be able to run to work every day.

  1. Simple logistics are a pain in the butt. I have to make sure I've already deposited clothes the day before, so at most I'm looking at every other day. Realistically, every other day is pretty aggressive.
  2. I can't run to work on the weekends because the gym/showers don't open until 10am. (Wish I had known that today when I arrived at 9am.) Later would work, but temps start rising pretty fast.
  3. Pollution: Running down the Corniche certainly exposes me to more pollution than my normal running routes. While I thought it was tolerable this morning, I wonder what 2.5 years of running to work would do to me. Anything permanent? (Does anyone actually have references to answer this question?)
But despite the negatives, there were lots of positives in this run:
  • The corniche runs right along the nile and it's one of the greener parts of town. The trees provide quite a bit of shade and there always seems to be something flowering. It's generally a pleasant view (for city running). On some days when the smog isn't so bad, I should be able to see the Pyramids along the way.
  • 1 hour 10 minutes from my front door to the target stopping point is awesome. It's an 8 mile run so it's a good distance for a regular run. As I ramp up towards the Athens Marathon, I could potentially make it an out-and-back run without too much trouble.
  • Pollution issues will certainly be lighter earlier in the mornings if I aim to arrive at the showers closer to 6:30/7am.
  • I got some looks as I went by, but if you're just sitting on the corner, even average Americans will turn their heads and watch you go by. I'm not sure what this would be like for Meg though. Its one thing for a man to be doing this, but a girl in running apparel would probably get a lot more attention closer to downtown. Some kids at a university cheered for me as I went by.
I think I might be up for this run once a week. It's a good route, and I'd be willing to do it a lot more. I just need to figure out how to handle the clothing logistics to do it more.



View Larger Map

No comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP