Thursday, September 11, 2008

Surgery day one....


As some of you may or may not know, I was scheduled for foot surgery this afternoon. So far everything seems to be going well.

For the last year or so, after about 20-30 minutes of running my left foot would start burning, getting worse as I continue. Cycling would also cause pain and snowboarding was excruciating after several hours. After I stop pounding my feet, it would eventually stop hurting but sometimes it would take quite a while. Last time I talked to my doctor, we tried modifying my orthodics and that instantly did the trick for a few months. (It allowed me to get back on the track for a while.) But eventually, the pain came back.

After some discussions and a sonogram, we pretty much concluded it was either compartment syndrome in my calf pinching a nerve, or a Morton's Neuroma. I then had to move overseas so further work with my doctor was pretty rough. But, after some research and closer attention to my symptoms, I figured it was probably a neuroma.

This afternoon Meg & I walked into the Dr's office where a marble sized bunch of stuff was pulled out of my left foot between the 3rd & 4th metatarsals. A good chunk of it was my nerve but there was also a lot of scar tissue as well and it was pretty large. From the doc, it appears to confirm the diagnosis.

Recovery? Well, I'm on some pain killers now and stuck in a bed for the next 24 hrs or so to keep the swelling down. But I should be able to get back on my feet in a day or two, back to work on Monday, cycling and other low/medium impact in a week (as long as I can put up with the pain) and running shortly there after. We'll see how it goes, but overall, even it if takes months to get back to running, it's probably better than 2 years of running in pain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any chance you can get your best man to prance around your hotel room with his umbrella to help expedite your recovery process?

Robin and Will said...

Good luck with the recovery! I'm glad you got it fixed.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP