Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rubber Side Down?



... I KNEW I was forgetting something today when I went for a bike ride. It was a hot one on Sunday and I had already been riding with a buddy for an hour or so. But he took off and I decided I'd go for another 30 minutes to get a final burn in.

I rode up this hill to go check out a circuit I've been thinking of proposing holding a small crit style race on. The course has a solid uphill portion where you can get the HR up, but it's not too bad, then drops down into a long gradual descent. I softened up the suspension about as far as it would go as I came over the final rise and just let her go. I was having a blast flying down the trail when the trail had a bend to the right. It was a pretty smooth trail though covered in loose top soil. I probably entered the bend at about 35 mph.

I exited significantly slower, and was 0 mph for a while.



I managed to earn my first case of solid road rash, ironically, not on the road. A nice 4x4 patch on my right hip, a snapped front brake lever after the bars spun 360 degrees, and the bars were pushed waaay off center. A fun 5 minute cruise to the car (thankfully the bike was rideable and I was ok other than a slight stun) and I'm on way home with a kit that's got a few holes and blood starting to soak through.

Shower, gauze, tape and I think I'm patched up. We'll see what tomorrow morning is like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you didn't ruin the GW kit. I spent a lot of time starring at the back side of it. It would be a shame to lose that view.

Rode 70 today...feel pretty rough, but glad to be getting back into it. Is it too early to start planning a 2010 Ironman?

Hope ya'll are having fun over there.

Derek

Anonymous said...

Oh, ouch, owie - that's gonna leave a mark !! Road Rash is NOT (I repeat) NOT the way to get ready for the wedding !! Margaret

Anonymous said...

I keep telling people that mountain biking is dangerous. The only time I went out there was last winter, I was scared out of my freakin' mind going down those hills. Yet, screaming down a decent on a roadie at 58 mph is fun... =)

I'll stay on the road for now.

Jen

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP