Thursday, July 24, 2008

Move Over Cold Compress, There's a New Game in Town



I got home from a grocery store run yesterday for beer & food for Seth's birthday party on Friday. When I parked the car and opened the back door out came rolling one of those little kegs of beer that holds 5 liters that had fallen over on the ride home and what did I do?

I tried to catch it with the inside of my right ankle like a hacky sack! Right on the ankle bone! What the hell was I thinking????

I immediately dropped to the ground and simultaneously felt like I was going to puke and pass out. This woman was walking with her baby in a stroller and she came running over. Although we couldn't speak the same language, she was rubbing my back while I got control of my breathing and she helped me stand up.

I limped over to our door and she helped me carry 2 bags of groceries that had the frozen veggies etc. I then looked up at the 52 stairs I have to climb to get to the front door from our alley. My first instinct was to call Seth but I thought, "What is he going to do? I'll call when I get inside." So I carried up the groceries limping on my right foot and by the time I reached the top thought I was going to pass out again.

I got inside, put the stuff in the freezer, grabbed the ice pack and laid down on the couch and called Seth. He told me to stand up and put all my weight on my right foot to test and see if it was broken. I could stand on one foot so we were hopeful that it wasn't broken. I spent the next 4 hours lying with my foot elevated, alternating 20 minutes of ice on and 20 minutes off. I took 4 ibuprofen and prayed it wasn't broken because I did not want to fly with a cast and get married in a cast!

All because I couldn't just let the keg fall! I

Apparently my diligence as a patient paid off and I woke up this morning feeling tender to the touch but much better over all. I am able to walk around with little to no discomfort. I came in to work this morning and relayed this story to Alan, who gave me another gem of advice:

The next time something like this happens, I am to immediately go to the liquor cabinet and pull out a bottle of vodka. Pour the vodka over the injured area and rub into the skin gently. Repeat this procedure every 30 minutes until the pain disappears. (I imagine it wouldn't hurt if I accidentally spilled some of it into my mouth every once in awhile either.)

Silly American. Why would you want RICE when you can have vodka?

Your friend,
Pele

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. This was one of the most entertaining blog entries I've read in a while. Thanks for making my morning interesting!

Dear Pele, a keg is not the same thing as a soccer ball. I hope you are feeling better and will not do anything stupid again. (Though I shouldn't be the one to talk; I almost landed myself in the hospital from heat exhaustion this past weekend...)

Jen

Anonymous said...

All for the BEER !! What a gal !!
margaret

Julie said...

Good grief! It is just BEER. Next time, save the GREAT soccer movement for a bag of chips, if you ask me, and let the beer roll down the hill. :-)

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read that article. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such stories. I like to read stories like this. Just add some pics :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP