Thursday, August 30, 2007

Welcome to the late 20th Century!

Technically we officially have internet at the house. But only technically. One might think that four men would be able to rig something that was reasonably well designed and reliable. But then you'd be wrong. Because we're living in Georgia -- a country that appears to just be entering the 20th century. Much like the state, I suppose.

The internet is "provided" by a dish that points at the TV tower across town. Since I conveniently live in a house that is on a hill with a SUPER clear line of sight to this tower you'd think it would be reliable. Reliable that is until the power blips a little bit, or as happened today, it rains. Now, it may do just fine in normal drizzle or even steady rain, we have no idea yet. Today, after about 45 minutes of feeling like she was on X, Meg was pushed back into the bunker, cut off from the world as it started to rain.

It rained. And then it REALLY rained. Apparently cars were floating down the hill like logs and homes on a California hillside. She bailed on work due to the lack of cabbies driving Arks and even after the rain subsided, I had to fight drivers on the way home from work. These guys make Maryland drivers look like geniuses. (Go talk to Strange Ground Chuck for more info on geniuses. I hear he's in Mensa.) Normally, they're reasonably decent about stop lights. Today, once the light turns red, they all flooded into the intersection. As if traffic was going to clear out for them magically after they jammed it up. I almost got out and walked. That is until I realized I had the big D plates on the car and just went through the intersection in the middle of a red light and pushed my way through. What are they going to do, pull me over?

We'll talk more about driving here later, I'm sure. But for now, at least the internet is up. It's slow. It's finicky. But it's here. It's good, 'cause it means my posts can't possibly be random as much as usual (yeah right) otherwise, the internet will cut out in the middle of my post.

Better go before it starts to fog.

No comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP