Monday, April 25, 2011

Sunrise Easter Service at the Arlington National Cemetery

Years ago when I was living in the DC area I read about the annual sunrise service held on Easter at the Arlington National Cemetery Amphitheater. I went alone and discovered a little known gem this city has to offer. This year I found myself in the area for Easter again. At 5:30 this morning I headed back to the Cemetery in the pre-dawn hours for a quiet spiritual morning.

American Flags hanging in arches of amphitheater

Leaving my car in the parking garage I joined the flow of people moving toward the visitor's center in silence. We boarded the shuttle buses and wound our way along the network of roads heading toward the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the amphitheater behind it. We filed into our seats, marble benches on gradually sloping tiers, and listened to the Navy Choir and Army Band warming up as the sun climbed higher in the east behind the amphitheater.

Pre-Dawn Amphitheater

Sunrise over the amphitheater

The music was beautiful, both man made and Nature's work. Between readings and performances the birds swooped from one tree to the next filling the mild morning air with their own songs. The final piece the choir performed was the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's Messiah. We were left on our feet with goose bumps as the choir and chaplains filed off stage.

Circle of American Flags

I took the slow walk back toward the visitor's center through the cemetery. Spring time in Washington is lovely.

Tulips & Violets

Cherry Tree in the cemetery

Archway with flag

After returning home I joined some friends for a paddleboat ride around the Tidal Basin. The weather was gorgeous.

Meg's ride on the paddleboat

Meg paddle boat

No comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP