Saturday, November 13, 2010

Istanbul for a Weekend

I'm long over due for a post, but its been one of those months! At one point, I was on 4 continents in a single week! Istanbul (Asia and Europe sides) - Cairo (Africa) - Washington, DC.

In the middle of October, I took a quick trip to Istanbul, Turkey to catch up with a bunch of friends and run a 15 km race. I have heard a lot of people say that Istanbul is great, but I've always been more of a 'do-er' than a 'see-er', so I didn't generally believe that I would enjoy it as much. I was wrong. Istanbul is a very fun city to go to. It feels very European with the narrow streets and construction, but the Islamic influence is also pervasive and makes a very interesting contrast. Also, some of the old Christian Cathedrals have been "converted" to Islamic Mosques. But the original frescoes are frequently still there.

The 15k went well (68:30 ain't too shabby for someone who really hasn't trained for it) and I had a really great time catching up with some good friends.  I'm not much of a shopper, but the colors and detail work almost make shopping a trip to a museum. Very interesting stuff!

This is an ancient cistern:
IMG_2161

An old Cathedral (still Christian)

IMG_2154

A huge palace grounds / park:
IMG_2226

Spice Market:
IMG_2231

The blue mosque:
IMG_2197

No comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP