Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Together Again

We woke up to our first morning together in Cairo after a pretty darn good nights sleep. Seth had warned me that the sound of traffic continues late into the night so I had my ear plugs on hand but didn't need them after all, it wasn't too bad. We slept in a bit as Seth had let work know that he would be coming in a little late today. After breakfast together I walked with him to the subway so I could begin to get a feel for the neighborhood. The subway station is about 1.5 blocks away from the apartment, not bad at all. Already at 7:45 am the streets were busy with people and traffic (very different from Tbilisi). This is a view from our small balcony:

View from balcony

Dust. Lots of it. There is a film on almost every surface in our apartment and Seth has dusted already since being here. This morning I opened the glass door leading to the small balcony and saw a puff of dust blow inside when I did. That said the air is noticeably easier to breathe out here in Ma'adi (our suburb) than it is downtown. It was actually a little tough to breathe on the drive home from the airport last night until we got out this way. I noticed sand on the side of the highway during the drive. Speaking of the "side of the highway" there were guys hitchhiking and just plain walking along the side of the ring road (imagine the Beltway in DC with 8 lanes of traffic in each direction and a small shoulder).

Living & Dining rooms

The apartment building we are in reminds me of Melrose Place with all the hallways opening out to a courtyard in the center and palm trees all around. There is a basketball hoop set up in the center and a bunch of little kids bikes (covered in dust...not from lack of use) in a bike rack downstairs. The guards at the gate called me "Miss Meg" when I came back from the subway walk this morning. These are some photos of our temporary apartment. We are currently living in the building that has only Americans in it. Our moving day is December 28th into our permanent building which is about a 15 minute walk from here. Seth & I will take a walk on Friday to check it out from the outside and scope out the neighborhood.

Kitchen

Christmas Tree 2009

I commented to Seth this morning that I am having some of the same feelings that I had when we first moved to Georgia...unsettled and a little uneasy. Not in a negative way, more in the "my antennae are up and are taking in everything because it is all new" kind of way. I like feeling this way, it is exciting, kind of like I'm on my "first date" with Cairo. I told Seth that what makes this different from the way I felt on my first days in Georgia is that, having that experience under my belt, I know that I'm going to love it here and that 6 months from now all this that feels so strange and new, will be completely normal. We are so lucky that we get to have these experiences!

I am going to spend the morning doing laundry, putting clothes away, cleaning (dusting) a bit and wrapping some Christmas gifts. Later this afternoon I will call a woman (spouse of one of Seth's co-workers) who will take me around a bit to see what's what.

6 comments:

Deborah said...

Welcome to Cairo, Meg! I look forward to getting to know you.

Anonymous said...

Two things. First, I'm thoroughly jealous on your experience. Second, how did you land on "Home of Pharaohs" instead of "Walk Like an Egyptian" sticking with your "Georgia on my Mind" theme? Inquiring minds...

Have fun kids.

Derek & Kelly

Julie said...

Thank you for posting some pictures so soon after your arrival. We look forward to hearing/seeing more in the future.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ycigoqobud.freecities.com/wyjupon.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

hey guys. missing having you here, but love the update. we're supposed to be getting a big wad of snow in a few days. not like the dust/sand you've got, but i hope it covers everything! joan

Christie Getman-Wells said...

Hey guys, glad to hear you're settling in well! I know well the "unsettled and uneasy" feeling you describe Meg, though for me I am usually just flat out bawling the first night, rhetorically asking why we always do this to ourselves? But it always subsides the next day when you get to start exploring a cool, new place! Miss you guys!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP