Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sometimes its the little things...


Ok, so this may get a little personal but whatever.

So I'm planning a trip to the top of a mountain and I'm out of Imodium. While I'm not planning on having any problems, the top of a mountain is a really bad place to have a problem like that, so bringing some is a really good idea. The commissary doesn't carry it though, so I'm off to find some on the local economy.

First complication: American brands don't exist here, so you're going to have to find the Russian equivalent. Easiest way to do to this is to find what the drug really is: (Loperamide).

Second: the big grocery store doesn't carry drugs, so I have to go to the pharmacy where even "Over the counter" drugs, require asking the pharmacist. Problem is, they don't speak english and I don't speak Russian or Georgian. So you write Loperamide on a piece of paper and hope for the best.

The first pharmacy I walked into didn't carry it, but the second one did. 1.80 GEL for a box of 10. That's about about $1.05 and 25% of the price of even the generic stuff in the U.S.

I thought for sure the lady was going to give me A pill. Nope, it's a whole box.

So it seems like a little thing, but it's kind of an adventure that ends with a "Really? It's that cheap?"

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sometimes relief isn't spelled R-O-L-A-I-D-S. Glad your shopping trip was successful but what's with the commissionary? How can they NOT have any?

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP