Monday, February 18, 2008

Of course I said yes!


She said yes!
Originally uploaded by SethTri
The much anticipated story of "How Seth Proposed."

I had arrived in Durango, CO the night before. After racing to make all my connections Seth picked me up at the airport and I could not have been happier to see him (actually, I may have been happier to see all my luggage had made it, but I digress.) We went back to our friend's home and met up with some more great friends whom we hadn't seen in a while.

Thursday morning, January 31, we piled in the cars and headed to Purgatory Ski Resort for a day on the mountain. Being the baby skier that I am I headed toward the "all green" lift while everyone else went to go throw themselves down the mountain the most challenging way possible, with the plan to meet up for lunch at the bottom.

After lunch I had a private lesson scheduled for the rest of the day. As I was heading out to meet my instructor Seth said (ever so casually), "Hey Meg, why don't you have your instructor drop you off at the Powderhouse (a restaurant halfway down the mountain) and we can do the last run of the day together."

It sounded like a good plan to me so I headed out to get schooled on some skiing. Around 3:30 my instructor and I realized that we had lost track of time and were running late. We high tailed it to the Powderhouse. I saw Seth standing, very patiently, by the signs directing skiers to various runs waiting for me.

After quick introductions and thanks for a great lesson my instructor took off and Seth and I turned to head for the bottom of the hill. After a few turns, however, he headed over to the side of the slope and called out, "Hey babe, come over here for a second."

I made my way over and side stepped into the powder next to him.

"I love you." he said.
"I love you too,"

BAM! After luring me in with his sweet talk he pushed me down into the powder, tackled me and started a tickle fight right there on the mountain. Tackling and tickle fights are par for the course with us and after we composed ourselves and caught our breath, we sat up again laughing.

Seth looked at me smiling and said, "I want to make you happy."
"You do make me happy."
"I know, but I want to make you happy for the rest of your life." he said, as he reached into his right pocket and pulled out a ring box.

At this point I may have blacked out, but I think I started mumbling something along the lines of "Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God..." When he opened the box I dropped back down into the snow screaming in excitement and flailing my arms around in snow angel fashion. At which point a member of ski patrol happened to be riding up the passing lift and called down, "Are you OK?"

I realized that I had not actually said "Yes!" yet. I sat up quickly, took Seth's face in my hands and said "Yes! Yes! Yes! We are going to be such a great team!"

To which Seth replied, "You're gonna have to take off a glove."

I stripped off the gloves and put his beautiful ring on my finger and we headed back down the mountain to meet all of our friends who were waiting for us at the bottom. Only 2 of Seth's closest friends knew what he was up to on the mountain that afternoon so the crowd was thoroughly shocked when we walked in.

Beers were bought, photos were taken and hugs were shared all around.

This story has been told many times already and each time I am reminded how fortunate I am to have the love of a man who would take such care and make such an effort to create a moment that was so true to our personalities. With a backdrop of the snowcapped Rockies, in a pile of snow, he asked me to marry him and I said yes.

10 comments:

Dawn said...

Hi Seth & Meg - I'm one of your blog stalkers and have enjoyed hearing about life in Tbilisi. (I work with Seth's Mom) Anyhoo, I thought I would come out of lurkdom and congratulate you on your engagement. What a beautiful & romantic proposal. Here's to a wonderful life together! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Seth and Meg - Oh so romantic. Thanks for sharing the proposal and how it happened. We love you both and wish only the best !! Major hugs all around. TJ and Margaret

Aaron said...

I've been dying to hear this story! Congrats you two. :)

Anonymous said...

I was dying to hear the story at dinner, but didn't want to ask you to tell it for what was surely the thousandth time in 48 hours. Congrats to you both - I couldn't be happier for y'all! Love, Jingle!

Anonymous said...

And its about time. You two are a beautiful couple and you're going to make a fantastic team! -Thomas

Anonymous said...

Damn Seth I never realized you were so romantic.
You're both very lucky to have
such a great relationship.
Here's to your bright future....
kids?

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Seth and Meg - Congratulations! Such a wonderful story. We are so thrilled for you and glad we are not the only ones crazy enough to get married in Georgia. Makeesha and Nick

Anonymous said...

Dear Megtoy,
We have waited and waited, and to our dismay you have not brought us food, scrathed our bellies or behind our ears. And now we read that you have gotten engaged without letting us know?! This is very dissapointing.
We have given up hope that we will be fast friends and now we will go back to barking and snarling all night long.
Sincerely,
Georgian Backyard Feral Dogs

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Truth be told; he asked me 1st. But he's too pasty and anglo for me... nothing personal but I just couldn't.
SvenD'Allah

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP